
Last Tuesday (8/10) between 1 and 1:30 am she woke us up saying her stomach hurt. She seemed aggravated and we could tell she was uncomfortable. We asked her a million questions trying to figure out what this could be. Finally she said she felt like she had a knife stabbing her in the stomach. We decided she needed to go to the ER. Patrick took her to the ER and and I didn't sleep at all as I waited eagerly for Patrick's texts to filled me in on what the doctors were doing. A little after 5am I get the call that says Cass will be transported to Children's hospital because her appendix is enlarged. I hurry to the hospital so I can go to Children's hospital with her. Cass and I rode first class, via an ambulance, to the hospital (which is Cassie's favorite part out of all of this). Around 9:30am they told us she would have surgery around 1pm. I decided I would go home to shower and grab a few things for her and be back in time for her surgery. I get home at 10:30ish and Patrick tells me surgery was changed to 11am. I get ready quickly and head back to the hospital. Patrick tells me they are a little behind schedule and haven't taken her to pre-op yet. I was almost there so I figured I was doing good...until I can't find a parking spot, can't find the building she was now in (they moved her out of ER while I was gone), the front desk sends me to another desk only for them to send me back to the front desk. They send me to yet, another desk and the lady there can't find Cass in the computer. By this time Patrick sends me a text saying she is in pre-op. I tell this to the lady and she says, "No, the computer doesn't have her in pre-op or recovery. Are you sure she was having surgery?" I am now frazzled because I'm not going to get to see Cass before she goes to surgery so I call Patrick and sure enough, they just took her back to start her appendectomy.
To make this already long story short....surgery went well. It took about 45 minutes. We met her in recovery and after a short time they moved her into a room where she and I spent the night. She came home on Thursday afternoon, no school Friday, tried to go to school on Monday, made it half day, felt nauseous on Tuesday (no school) and finally on Wednesday she was able to make it to school all day.
This was Cassie's first hospital experience and she pretty much loved it. She wasn't nervous at all about having surgery. The doctors and paramedics loved her.
5 comments:
Cassie is easy to love. What a sweetie. Glad she is on the mend.
Maybe our gal will work in the med field some day. I am amazed at how brave she was/is! Yep, that's Cassaroo.....no fear!
Mom/Grandma Donna
Wow! What an adventure for your family. I am glad she is doing well now though.
Glad to hear it went well. Does that just happen all of a sudden...? Jeez.
I hope all of the Gibbs are doing great and having fun at school!
Miss you guys :)
Post a Comment