Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Working our way to Disney

Let's face it, a ticket for Disneyland is pretty pricey. Now times that ticket price by 5!
Connor still hasn't been to Disneyland so we thought we'd take advantage of Disney's "Give a day-Get a day" program. We give community service hours to a place in our state and in return each of us will get a ticket for one day at Disney! Now, we keep hearing rumors that Disney has gotten an overwhelming response to this program and not everyone that does community service will get a ticket (voucher). We have friends who already did their time...I mean community service and have their voucher in hand. Some friends have already cashed their vouchers in at Disney. We are having faith that this is going to work out. So, after having 4 places say yes, come help us...three of them said oops, never mind we got too many volunteers. The one place that still wanted our help was a horse rescue place called Dreamchaser. Oh great, we're going to scoop horse poop for two hours, was our thought. Nope, instead we moved rocks and boulders from an area that they want to use for picnic tables. We worked for two hours on a Friday and will work two more hours this Saturday. Most places want two hours of your time but "lucky" us found a place that requires 4 hours. Really, it wasn't terrible. We did get to see some beautiful animals (horses, llamas, peacocks, chickens, sheep, goats, dogs) most were abused or neglected animals. This place really does do a good thing. They have turned some abused horses into show horses. Dreamchasers is in New River, about 25 minutes from Phoenix. If you are in AZ and need community service hours they are always looking for volunteers (and donations).


4 comments:

Joel said...

Now I know why we haven't seen or talked in a while, you all are so busy. I hope you get your tickets to disneyland. Looks like if we go we are paying full price. I know I get discounts through Amex, but not free. Good for you guys. I have done about 4 things through work with community service and am glad I did each one. It feels pretty good.

Love you,
Joel

Anonymous said...

I am very proud of your whole family for this generous effort! Hope the Disneyland deal works out!!


Mom

OneHappyfamily said...

What a great way to earn tickets. I bet it was fun to do as a family. Way to go. Hope it works out with the tickets.

Jessica and Deric MIller said...

I'm doing my Disneyland "Give a Day" this next weekend. I hope I get my voucher!! :)