Tuesday, August 19, 2008

You would have thought we cut their arms off...

The kids finished up their first week of school . As we look at our calendars and schedules it is a bit overwhelming. Patrick and I are trying to help the kids stay organized, you know a "place for everything and everything in it's place" and we encourage them to stay on top of things-not to procrastinate. This is pretty easy to do at the beginning of the school year but it doesn't take long to get caught up in our activities and we start slacking off. Before we know it we're saying things like, "I'll do it in the morning" or "It's not due til next week" and then they are rushing around like a crazy person trying to get their stuff done. We seem to have less time to get chores and homework done but manage to get our TV time in. So after giving some thought to what new "rules" we need to have to help everyone stay on top of things and to be sure we are getting plenty of family time in, we decide that there will be no TV after dinner time (on school nights). This will allow plenty of time for finishing homework, chores, reading, maybe playing a game or two. So we let the kids get through their first week of school and there is little to no homework. But now we are in week two. Everyone has plenty of homework not to mention all the try outs going on for different sports and youth group starting back up for the fall. Already we are swamped. So at dinner last night we tell the kids our new plan. They FREAK OUT!!! You would have thought that we told them we were cutting of their arms. Well, after hearing how mean and unfair we are they settle down and we are able to talk about the reason for our decision. They are also reminded that we do have DVR so they can catch up on their shows on the weekend (they girls are big Law and Order SVU fans).

Last night was our first TV free night and it went pretty well (after the explosion at dinner). Patrick was able to finish a book that Courtney and I have been wanting to read (The Shack) and everyone had their chores and homework done and were in bed on time. Now, when I say chores, don't think that they have this long list of jobs that they do. Basically they pick up after themselves, clean their bathroom, and we rotate who does the dishes and who sets and clears the table. Not too much to ask. And let me add that this is hard for mom too. Not so much the TV part as much as the staying on top of things- not procrastinating part. I'm a great procrastinator!



Anyways...we'll see how the rest of the week goes.

4 comments:

OneHappyfamily said...

Good for you. A few nights a weeks is nice, but tv every night... Ugh! Well, except when the Suns are on.

The Porter Family said...

Yay for chores! I am NOW thankful that my mom gave me SOME responsibility! It's hard to keep up the house with just Adam and I let alone an entire family! put those kids to work!!! he he!

Russell Fam. said...

You should try making lists, they work great at our house-honest! In fact, Mikaila would ASK for chores to do in the summertime, as long as I put them on a list-no joke!!
There's just somethin' about crossing off or checking off those chores!!!

Times 6 said...

I hear you, Morgan only gets one 1/2 show a day AFTER he finishes homework and chores. He tells me none of his friends have chores. I just have to smile!