On Sunday we snapped some family pictures in our living room. We took family pictures a couple weeks ago but most of us really didn't like them. My camera is not taking nice clear pictures like it used to. As it gets closer to Christmas, the busier we are and it's not often that we are all home at the same time. I decided we would just have to take pictures in our living room or not at all. The kids were NOT in the mood to take pictures but I wanted to get it done so that I could get our cards printed and mailed out hopefully before Christmas. As we finished up the photo shoot, I thought we should de-stress by taking a drive, getting hot cocoa and looking at Christmas lights around town. During our drive, I was happy we were all together but I was still frustrated with my kids and their attitudes about getting their picture taken.
Our night suddenly turned interesting when we hear a car horn blaring and look over to see a pick up truck flipped on its top laying half on the ground half on top of a wall. We can tell the accident just happened and a few people were running with their cell phones to the scene. We jumped out of the car to see if we could help...
There were three people involved in the accident; one was half in the truck and half out and seriously hurt, the other two had gotten out. Patrick was observing the two guys who were involved in the accident (the one guy was not letting anyone help his seriously injured friend) while Cassie and I helped the girl. Here's where a proud mama moment comes in and my night starts to turn around...
I told Cass to run and get her blanket from the car. She comes back with her blanket and does she hand it to the girl or toss it to me to give to her? Nope! She hops the wall and covers the girl up and gently rubs her back and moves the girl’s hair from her eyes. She talks with her and asks her if she hit her head (we already knew her back and shoulder hurt). Cass observes her eyes and speech and keeps her talking. Patrick is still keeping an eye on the two guys and Courtney stays with Connor as he is a little freaked out. She even offers to sit in our car with him if it would make him feel better. While the rest of her family was helping the injured, she stayed right by her brother’s side making sure he was ok. After all the paramedics, firefighters and police arrive on the scene we all move out of the way. We watched as a helicopter airlifts the seriously injured guy away and the paramedics take the other two away to nearby hospitals. After we get into the car Patrick says that Connor wants us to pray for the three injured in the accident. Patrick finishes praying and I sit in awe of my children. These same children, who about an hour and a half earlier had me so frustrated that I wanted to cry, now had me all choked up and beaming with pride. Maybe Patrick and I are doing something right?
Oh, and Cassie was very excited because her blanket is now part of a crime scene (alcohol was involved).
1 comment:
Your kids are all great indeed. Sorry you stumbled upon this accident, but glad it gave you the opportunity to see your kids being so fabulous!
Post a Comment