Saturday, March 07, 2009

Adios



On Saturday we said good bye to our dog Marlie. No, I did not forget to give her water for all of you who remember my blog about Connor's frogs. We put her up for adoption. Marlie is a good dog for the most part. She came to us with some issues. We are not sure how well she was cared for by her last owner. We were feeling guilty about the amount of time she was spending in her kennel because we would be running off here and there and were hardly home. She is very protective of her family, which is a good thing, except that she was snapping at our neighbors, family and friends (especially men). The last straw was when she snapped at a blind lady's face (a friend of Grandma Sharon's) who luckily was not upset. Marlie did not actually bite her but got way to close to her face for our comfort. We did not want her to go to the pound because we were afraid of how she would act there. She is very timid (even afraid of cats- no lie!) and we didn't want her killed if she wasn't adopted. We found a rescue place not far from our house and they said yes, they would advertise her on their adoption website but they had no room to board her at that time. We had two people interested in her. A lady and her sister came out Friday and spent an hour with her and said "Yes, I want her". Patrick and Connor took Marlie to her place on Saturday. Her new home is on an acre and a quarter of land. She also has another dog to play with and this lady also has chickens. Patrick said she enjoyed running around her new yard. Connor was sad when he had to say good bye and Patrick said it made the new owner sad to watch them say good bye. I was not sure how Marlie would do if I would have went to her new home with her because she sticks to me like glue. So, I opted to stay home and let Patrick be the bad guy. While I am a little sad that she is gone I am happy that she has a nice home with a family that loves animals. I am also glad that I won't have to hear my kids fighting over who had dog detail last.

3 comments:

Joel said...

Sorry about Marlie. It's hard as they become part of the family. Glad she went to a caring family.

Anonymous said...

Glad I got to give her one last belly rub last Saturday! She'll be okay! Maybe she'll learn to cluck!
Ha Ha!


Grandma Donna

deeandcam said...

Very sad! On the way home today out of the blue Cameron says "Mom when are we going to put a gate up?". When I asked what we needed a gate for he informed me that it was for the dog we are getting...
Not so much!! By the way, your mom is hysterical!!