Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A stressful few days!

Courtney was diagnosed with something called Urticaria. Basically she has a rash ALL over her body. It started last Thursday as what looked like bug bites. She went to school on Friday with a few itchy bumps but didn't really complain. When I picked her up from school her bumps where bright red welts and her bottom lip was swollen. I picked her up from school at 2:45 and she was supposed to be on a bus at 4:30 to go on a winter retreat with the youth group. We went straight to Urgent Care and the Doc said she had a virus. We remembered that she had a fever for three days the week before. She was no longer contagious now but the rash would get worse. The meds they prescribed make her feet and hands swell. The virus is also in her joints so it hurts to walk and to use her hands. Today she woke up feeling like she was wheezing and the rash was all over her eyes and ears. We got in to see her doctor first thing this morning. He agreed with the Urgent Care doctor and said it will probably get worse before it gets better. This virus can last anywhere from a few days to six weeks. UGH! Not what she wanted to hear. Also, the doctor said that he has had to put kids in a wheelchair because the pain got so bad. Something else she did not want to hear! Not only does her med. make her swell but it makes her very sleepy so focusing in school is not easy. Patrick and I had a meeting tonight and when we got home it looked like she had burns all over her body. The welts have been blending together and are very red so it looks like a big burn. So, to our praying friends, please remember Court. She needs relief from the pain. Her hands always feel like they are burning and she is pretty week.

On a happier note...
Patrick shared this story with me so I thought I'd pass it on.

Connor and daddy are chilling in mom and dads room.
Connor: Dad, did you know that Barry Bonds took drugs?
Patrick: Really?
Connor: Yeah, he took hemorrhoids to get strong.
Patrick: Buddy, I think you mean steroids.
Connor: Hemorrhoids, steroids. I was off by a letter.

I laughed my butt off!!!!! Oh, my silly boy!

6 comments:

Evy said...

Wow, I thought my pregnancy symptoms were bad...I better stop complaining. My fingers have swollen so I can't wear my wedding ring anymore but that is nothing compared to what she is dealing with. Im so sorry she feels so badly. I will be praying for her. She must be so upset.

Anonymous said...

Poor Court. Sounds awful. Hope symptoms subside soon! Six weeks is too long!!!

Feel better soon Goosie.

Love, Grandma Donna

Anonymous said...

Hope Connor Boy doesn't get the word "steroids" on his spelling list at school !! HA!

Mom

Times 6 said...

Sorry Courtney is feeling so bad, I can't imagine. Please let her know I am thinking of her. That was a funny story about Connor. He is silly

OneHappyfamily said...

Do you need anything? Do they know how she got it? Scary what is flying through the air these days... Hope she is feeling relief soon. We will be praying for her for sure.

Connor... Steriods...Hemorrhoids...
You have to admit...

Anonymous said...

yikes! I thought staph was bad! We'll be praying.

SO funny about Connor. I laughed out loud!